So I have been seeing this around a lot and thought it was kind of fun and really wanted to give this a go. There are plenty of books out there that I have loved and plenty that I have found to be disappointing and when reading over the questions initially I pretty much had an idea instantly of my answers for each question. That being said these are all my opinions and I understand that there are people out there that love some of the things that I really dislike about these novels, but I’m not going to apologize for my opinion, sorry not sorry.
- A popular book or series that you do not like
- So this is a very easy answer but I couldn’t just pick one of these series, I had to pick both and that is the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, and the Fifty Shades of Grey series by E.L James. So first we will start with Twilight. I just could not bring myself to like these books or movies and there are a number of reasons. I really don’t like the characters, particularly Bella and Edward. Bella, to me, is a poorly developed female lead character, who has very little in terms of redeemable qualities and Edward is kind of a controlling, emotionless prick for most of the series. I don’t think this is a wonderful love story in any way, I think there are definitely other supernatural love story books that show a more redeeming romance. I also cannot stand the second novel of the series New Moon, it is probably my least favorite book that I have ever read in my entire life. Fifty Shades of Grey is also a series that I really don’t like and for a lot of the same reasons I didn’t like Twilight, which makes sense since the series started as fan fiction for Twilight, so the main characters all have a lot in common. Anastasia, again is a weak lead female character, and Christian is a controlling bastard that gives BDSM a bad name. I didn’t like the light the series shed on BDSM, I think it portrayed it in a very abusive and negative light. I don’t understand how so many people like this series and Christian considering how emotionally abusive he is, and physically, at one point he pretty much rapes Ana. I think there are definitely better erotica novels out there and ones that don’t portray BDSM in such a negative light.
2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love
- So I don’t think that everyone hates this book, but I have seen a lot of negative reviews on it and that is Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I really enjoyed this novel, I think it’s a fun and interesting story, but I can see why some people don’t like it. It is very predictable and the tropes of the novel are overdone. It is also a combination of a lot of popular series and I think people are starting to get tired of a lot of these very similar series that are coming out all the time. But I really enjoy the book and I look forward to reading the sequel when I finally decide to buy it.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person that you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you do not like
- I am actually going to answer both of these starting with an OTP that I do not like and that is Katniss and Gale from The Hunger Games. I just have never understood why so many people like the idea of the two of them together. I just don’t care for Gale at all and I hate that he had some expectation that Katniss would just be with him because he’s always been there for her, it’s called being a friend dude. Like I said I just don’t like his character in the series and I’m happy with the way it ended. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person that I didn’t want them to is actually from the first book of a new series so nothing is guaranteed yet because the first book just came out and who knows what could happen but it is Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. I’m not going to say what characters because I don’t want to spoil anything for those who have not yet read the book but there are two characters in the book who are literally perfect for one another but things happen by the end of the book and the one character ends up going after another character (sort of, again don’t want to spoil things), but it just broke my heart. It is just the first book of the series though so I’m sure many things are on there way to happening in the future books and so either the situation will fix itself or who knows Cassandra Clare may just keep my heart broken, I can’t wait to find out either way!
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for
- This would definitely be contemporary, or romance, or contemporary romance. It’s not that I don’t enjoy books in these genres, I do, I just hardly find myself reaching for books in these genres unless they’re coming of age stories that interest in me, otherwise I typically find myself reaching for fantasy, sci fi, horror, dystopian, genres like that.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like
- I really wanted to pick a character that I haven’t already previously mentioned but I can’t really think of any so I’m going to say any of the characters I’ve mentioned above: Gale from The Hunger Games, Edward and Bella from Twilight, Ana and Christian from Fifty Shades of Grey.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into
- There are a lot of authors that I have tried to read and couldn’t get into. Tolkein the author of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series is one; J.D. Salinger who wrote The Catcher in the Rye; the author of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larson. All of them are stories that I was really interested in reading but when I tried to read them, I just didn’t care for their writing styles and unfortunately could not get into their books because of it.
7. A popular book trope that you are tired of seeing
- I am tired of seeing the instant romance particularly when it happens between male and female lead characters. Whatever happened to platonic friendships, they do exist amongst men and women! Yet every time I turn around, when there is a male and female lead character they almost always eventually end up together. I want more great stories where the leads are best friends or something other then potential love interests. It’s probably why I don’t read contemporary too often, though this trope definitely exists within the fantasy, sci fi and dystopian genres as well.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading
- This would probably have to be The Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. I bought the first book in the series a while ago and still haven’t picked it up and I just really haven’t wanted to pick it up and I’m not sure why. I’ve heard really great things about the books as well as the show and I just have no interest in either. Maybe one day I will though and I’ll eventually pick it up.
9. The saying goes “the book is always better then the movie” but what movie or T.V. show adaptation did you enjoy more then the book
- For this I’m going to have to say This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Don’t get me wrong I love this book, I just feel like I loved the movie a little bit more. I really felt like they had the perfect cast for the movie and I feel like certain characters were slightly more likable in the movie.